Some 89ers

Looking at my Darryl Strawberry collection is something that I love to do. I have options. I can touch physical cards themselves, I can gaze at the scans -- they are all scanned -- or I can even just look at my spreadsheet or the lists of cards on TCDb. I often look at the spreadsheet and count the rows and then compare that to what is showing by year on TCDb to make sure that the numbers match. When they don't I panic and get frustrated. Is it my fault? Sometimes. Is it TCDb's? More usually yes. Some cards are listed in ranges of dates; I guess because they don't know or because the "set" was producing over several years. 

For the first few years of Strawberry's playing career, I have, by year (I'm including those in ranges with the earliest possible year): 

1982: 1
1983: 4
1984: 69 (Number inflated due to Star sets (panels and separated cards from panels))
1985: 26
1986: 44
1987: 76
1988: 155
1989: 166
1990: 107

There was a nice progression (or escalation there until 1990 when the number dips). Maybe I'll do the rest of the 1990s another time. 

But I've recently added a number of 1989ers. This post will show some of them. 

1989 Baseball's Top Twenty



1989 Playball '89 -- very specific name here!


989 Premier Player Gold Edition Series 5

This one above is a parallel to something called Premier Player Set 2. The original is the same image but with an orangey-peachy to white background. Well, I might as well just show it:


Same stats on the back, different card number. But, it might maybe possibly be one of my first "parallel" cards? Maybe?

Thanks for stopping by.

Comments

Post a Comment