From Deckle to Disco

Well. We're in the last three weeks of regular season baseball. It's a bit weird to me that the season will end in September as opposed to the turning of the calendar month in October. 

Labor Day Weekend is here and that means the summer is over. Thank goodness. I know we're still in for some hot and humid weather here, but the days are hopefully numbered. We're already having leaves turn colors and fall.

On the collecting front. A few weeks back I was watching an eBay Live auction. I really don't get much out of these; a lot of the are "breakers" who screw through opening packs looking for the inserts or special cards and ignoring all the rest like pedestrians walking down a crowded city street. 

But. One card caught my eye: a 1969 Topps Deckle Edge. The below Rod Carew card might have been the second or third from the set that was auctioned and because I really like him, I put out a $3 or $4 dollar bid. And won. I had always wanted to own a Deckle Edge card. I think they are fun.


Also new are the below two Darryl Strawberry cards from Donruss Elite. This is apparently a completely different thing from, um, Donruss Elite Series. The first card is the base card and it is minimal. The other one is a parallel card (because you can't not issue a parallel) called Green Disco. The "thing" the coat the card with makes different little circles kind of light up as you move the card.  The backs of the card are just about what you've come to know and expect from Donruss since its inception in 1981.



Honestly, if they aren't going to get the license, then all their cards should feature side view shots like this as the logos aren't really that visible.

Thanks for stopping by!

Comments