Plain cards

In the late 1980s and into the early 1990s, there was a rash of unlicensed cards produced. They are all terrifically boring where design is concerned. Broder cards are the most famous, perhaps, but other makers included Scott Cunningham, Barry Colla, and Pacific Cards & Comics, to name a few. 

They are all rather quite alike, so determining what you have and what you may need (as opposed to want) is difficult, confusing, and frustrating. And there were a number of them on my Wantlist.

Many of these were unknown to me in my early days of collecting the first time around. For years I've occasionally seen them on eBay but, again, I was never truly sure if I actually had a given card. Sometimes photos from the same day are used; sometimes the same photo looks to be reused. 

But, since I have all of the cards I own scanned, and because images are readily available on the internet, it was possible to start to go after some of them. Two arrived when I was on vacation in Seattle a few weeks ago. 

First up is Darryl Strawberry's 1989 Pacific Cards & Comics Facts



And then we get the Strawberry 1989 Pacific Cards & Comics Playball U.S.A Superstars


See? Boring cards. Particularly the back. However, that being said, I really like the top card. It's an excellent photo. And the second one has batting doughnuts, so, of course, now I want a food doughnut. More cards are on the way.

Seattle was great! The ballpark is wonderful. We saw all three games of the Minnesota Twins series and sat in a different seat each game.  At the home plate gate there is a gigantic bat chandelier. Really wonderful.








Thanks for stopping by!

Comments