One of the Big Three

One of the guys and cards for my Last Topps Cards of those players in the Hall of Fame that I never thought I would own in the 1958 Ted Williams.

And as I try to go after some of the older and hard-to-stomach-buying cards, it was getting to the point where the said stomach ache might have to be a reality. After all, I'm down to needing four. 

This card barely barely barely fits my vintage criteria for being one that I might not want to own and that is the border. This it the smallest evidence of the right border towards the top of this card and it probably all but disappears, if not does disappear completely, by the time you get to the card bottom. But my exception--because there always seems to be an exception to a rule-- is that the border is completely present and evident on the back of the card, which holds the information on Williams' career. 

So this is the 1958 Topps card for Ted Williams. His final Topps card during his playing career with stats through 1957. Williams, however, played in 345 more games over the three seasons in 1958, 1959, and 1960. So this card doesn't have all of his stats, which is a bummer, but it is his last Topps. I'm guessing Topps and he couldn't come to an agreement, maybe? And Williams was all over Fleer in those years. It's probably known why he was excluded from their sets. 

And then there were three.

Thanks for stopping by.

Comments

  1. Very nice. That card is perfectly satisfactory as far as condition. All kinds of rules get bended when it comes to '50s cards, for me anyway.

    Williams had an exclusive contract with Fleer for final two years of his career. He kind of pitted Topps and Fleer against each other and Fleer offered the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's as much as I could deduce regarding Topps and Fleer. I'm happy with the card and and still so thrilled to own it!

      Delete

Post a Comment